Myrtle Beach Area Celebrates the 50th Anniversary of Canadian-American Days
This March, the Myrtle Beach area is celebrating the 50th Anniversary of the destination's annual Canadian-American Days by welcoming Canadian and American visitors with a lineup of fun events, giveaways, discounts and concerts taking place along the Grand Strand.
From March 12-20, attendees can choose from a variety of events and activities, many free, including band concerts, the festival celebration expo, St. Patrick's Day parade and dance and much more.
"Can-Am Days celebrates our snowbird visitors, who escape the cold and snow for the moderate climate and wealth of attractions in the Myrtle Beach area," said Brad Dean, MBACC president and CEO. "Many of these visitors have been traveling to our destination for decades, and we strive to create new memories for each generation with each festival and event."
"RBC Bank is proud to continue to be a sponsor of Canadian-American Days in Myrtle Beach," said Steve Carter, manager of personal and business banking, RBC Bank. "Our sponsored events -the celebration expo, various band concerts and our charity golf tournament for the RBC Cup- provide a full schedule of festivities for both Canadians and Americans alike. At RBC Bank, we are committed to making a positive difference in the lives of our clients and the communities we call home."
Canadian-American Days draws as many as 100,000 Canadian visitors and snowbirds. The Myrtle Beach Area Chamber of Commerce introduced Canada Days in 1961 to attract Canadian families during their spring school break. The name was changed to Canadian-American Days in 1963. It is regarded as the first international festival organized in South Carolina.
The 50th Annual Canadian-American Days will feature a variety of events. Highlights include:
• 2011 RBC Bank Presents Canadian-American Days Festival South of the Border Concert Series featuring No Strings Attached and The Top Hat Matching Orchestra, Monday, March 14 - Inlet Square Mall, 10125 Highway 17 Bypass, Murrells Inlet. Free, but tickets are required. Tickets will be available prior to the concert at the Myrtle Beach Area Chamber of Commerce visitor center at 1200 N. Oak St., Myrtle Beach and at the door. Concert time to be announced.
• 2011 RBC Bank Presents Canadian-American Days Festival South of the Border Concert Series featuring The Burlington Teen Tour Band, Tuesday, March 15 - Inlet Square Mall, 10125 Highway 17 Bypass, Murrells Inlet. Free. Concert time to be announced.
• 2011 Battle at the Beach presented by RBC Bank, 9 a.m. tee time, 11 a.m. shotgun, Wednesday, March 16 (register by March 9) - Third annual Canada vs. U.S.A. Friendly Competition for the RBC Cup, four-person scramble format. Greens fee, cart fee and prizes included. All tournament profits will be donated to Myrtle Beach Haven. Prestwick Country Club, 1001 Links Road, Myrtle Beach. Fee $135 per person, $450 per foursome. For more information to register, call Brett Calhoun at (843) 444-3800.
• 18th Annual South Strand Wildlife and History Day, 10 a.m.-3 p.m. March 17 - Enjoy family-friendly entertainment, exhibits and activities. The Taste of Murrells Inlet, a culinary extension of the event, will boast specialties from some of the finest restaurants in the "Seafood Capital of South Carolina." Huntington Beach State Park, 16148 Ocean Hwy., Murrells Inlet. Adults: $5, S.C. senior citizens: $3.25, children 6-15: $3 and children 5 and under: free. For more information visit SouthCarolinaParks.com or call (843) 235-8755.
• 2011 RBC Bank Presents Canadian-American Days Festival Expo, 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Thursday, March 17 - This festival expo celebrates Can-Am Days and features exhibitors, live entertainment by No Strings Attached, The Top Hat Marching Band and The Burlington Teen Tour, as well as drawings for prizes from exhibitors. Coastal Grand Mall, 2000 Coastal Grand Circle, Myrtle Beach. Free and open to the public.
• 2011 RBC Bank Presents the 282nd Army Band, 7 p.m. Friday, March 18 - Surfside United Methodist Church, 800 13th Avenue North, Surfside. Free but tickets are required. Tickets available 10 a.m.-2 p.m. March 17 at the 2011 RBC Bank Canadian-American Days Celebration Expo, Coastal Grand Mall.